Thursday, March 25, 2010

SoLC 25/31

Today I had to pull several of my boys out into the hall to address something they had done that had upset a volunteer the day before. I pulled them one at a time. I looked each in the eye, smiled, laughed, and firmly said, "I think you know that what you choose was not appropriate. What do you think your parents would say if they saw that in the year book? You need to choose a new verse and resubmit it." They understood, they knew they were wrong. They gave me sheepish grins and agreed to change their yearbook submission, then went back into the room. I didn't make a big deal. I wasn't mad. After all, they were 8th grade boys being well, 8th grade boys. They got over it and we moved on with our day. One of them, as I looked him in they eye, I had to look UP. What an experience; reprimanding a boy who is a foot taller than you.

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine what they wrote, but I'm sure it wasn't good.

    I'm on the shorter side... a reason I like teaching elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the thing is, I'm average height. This kid is over 6 feet tall already!

    We're a christian school that goes through 8th grade, so the 8th graders are our "seniors". These guys thought it would be funny to put certain verses from Song of Solomon as their favorite verses. The parent (of younger students) who is this years yearbook coordinator didn't find it so funny.

    ReplyDelete