Thursday, March 11, 2010

SoLC 11/31

Hardly a day goes by that I am not amazed by my 8th grade boys in some way. Today they had a test on The Giver. They worked very hard and I think they did very well. They were focused and insightful. They used their time well.

After finishing the test I let them read silently on their independent reading. The main attraction for weeks has been The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Malice has joined the circulation and hasn't been on my shelf longer then a few minutes since I bought it. But today a new one entered the mix and became the focus of several of my boys: a full color (glossy, no less) biography of Taylor Swift.

When I went to collect the tests from my homework bin I glance across the desks of three of my boys to see that they were writing fan letters to Taylor. One of the boys even asked for help spelling some words he was unsure of for his letter.

These same boys, at the end of the day as they were packing up to go home, discovered an unopened movie theater sized box of hot tamali candy. They quickly went from eating one or two at a time and exclaiming, "These are pretty hot!" to stuffing an entire handful into their mouths at once. I think the pictures of them red-faced, crying, and flapping their hands with looks of agony on their faces that I took with my cell phone just might make it into the year book...

Hardly a day goes by that I am not amazed that these are the "seniors" of the school and that they are still alive!

1 comment:

  1. kids are too funny! thanks for sharing this story ;)

    ReplyDelete