Saturday, March 12, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In a world where love is not only illegal, but classified as a disease, Lena is eagerly counting the days until she will have the procedure that will cure and protect her. But just a few months before her scheduled procedure, her world is turned upside down and she begins to question everything she thought she knew.

This was an amazing book. I loved Lena, the main character. Her development over the course of the story is believable and enjoyable. I'm thrilled that this is first in a trilogy. The world is so well built and I really look forward to seeing more of it. One of the things that was fun for me was the setting. While it is set in a fictional era, Lauren Oliver used many real, recognizable landmarks in Portland, Maine. Having grown up in southern Maine, and preparing to move back to that area this summer, I really felt I could picture the events of the story with more reality. Knowing these real places exist, and seeing them place a part in such a dystopian story helped to create the tone. I also appreciate that there was very little swearing and no sexual content.

In thinking about possible reading ladders for this, I would suggest it to someone who had read The Giver, The Hunger Games, and Matched. I definitely plan to get this for my classroom library.



No comments:

Post a Comment