Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Recently Read

The Greatest Catch: A Life in TeachingThe Greatest Catch: A Life in Teaching by Penny Kittle

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Oh how I wish I had known that Penny Kittle was in North Conway when I was living in Wolfeboro. ( I also wish I had known Ralph Fletcher was in the Dover area when I was teaching in Barrington!) This book was so encouraging and inspiring. I love the parallels Penny draws between fishing and teaching. They are spot on. It's not just a feel good about your calling book, either. Penny has included Craft Notes that demonstrate how she composed her essays so that the reader can use the same strategies for their classroom life. This book is challenging my thinking about how I teach writing, my own writing, and how I view my students. Penny is a great model for how to reach kids and how to reflect on your own teaching. Reading this book pushes me to be a better teacher.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment