Sunday, January 9, 2011

Losing Faith by Denise Jaden

Losing FaithLosing Faith by Denise Jaden

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I am always delighted when I find a book that deals with the Christian faith in an honest and real way. Losing Faith joins Quaking by Katherine Erskine and Once Was Lost by Sarah Zarr on my list of books that show the struggle of being a person of faith and living in the real world with real issues and doubts.

As I read, I felt the same compulsion as main character Brie Jenkins to find out what really happened to her sister Faith. The mystery unfolded at a perfect pace. Brie's narrative voice was a fairly authentic one. There where a couple of times that Brie made an observation about the motivation behind another character's actions that I thought were a little unreal. But then upon reflection, they could be very much in keeping with a young teen who is growing, changing, and in the middle of grief.

I couldn't wait to book talk this to my 8th graders Friday morning after having finished it the night before. However, I never got the chance. The mother of one of my 8th graders, with whom I often swap book recommendations, was in and while I handed over my copy of LHA's Forge to borrow, I began to tell her about Losing Faith. She was instantly intrigued and asked to borrow it. So my 8th graders will just have to wait, but this is a book that I am thankful I purchased and will gladly place on my classroom shelf.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment