Monday, October 11, 2010

Columbus Day

We had great plans this year to be better about getting up to Maine to see my folks. We planned to spend Columbus Weekend with them, visiting and helping with some projects around the house. But when Saturday rolled around John was still feeling horrible from the cold he'd been fighting all week. He wasn't up to traveling and there was no way we could expose my parents to the cold. After lots of tears and discussion, I called my folks to tell them we weren't coming. Fortunately my dad answered. I think if my mom had answered I would have been crying again. We had a good talk and he affirmed our decision; not just out of concern for their health, but also concern for John's health.

So instead of a weekend in Maine with family, we've had a quiet weekend at home. John has rested and is starting to feel better. I finally got to just sit and read, something I've been dying to do for several weeks. I finished Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta, Wings by Aprilynne Pike, and Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Fabulous books all. Sunday I cooked my first whole chicken and it came out really well. Today we used the chicken stock and left over meat to make an amazing chicken soup. I've been to Barnes and Noble to pick up some books for my classroom that I've been wanting to get; Guys Read: Funny Business edited by Jon Scieszka, Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life by Rachel Renee Russell, Havoc by Chris Wooding, and The Ask and The Answer by Patrick Ness. Of course I intended to use one of my gift cards but totally forgot, again! But I'm looking forward to showing the books to my kids tomorrow; one in particular has been anxiously awaiting Havoc.

I ache to be in Maine, but it was so good to have a quiet weekend and to relax. I've been very stressed between work and my parents' health. It was good to be able to take a step back from my school work. I know that things will come crashing down on my head tomorrow morning. Tuesday is my day from hell: I teach every single period, 2 LA classes (2 different grades doing 2 different things), 3 Social Studies classes, and 1 Bible class., and one of the Social Studies classes is a double period. I have a tendency to allow the demands of school to consume my life. It was nice to actually have a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment