Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Duff by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


The premise was interesting, as was the main message of believing in yourself and not allowing the judgment of others to define you. However, the major focus on teenage sex was disappointing. I was also disappointed by the amount of swearing. I don't agree with treating sex so casually, nor do I agree with portraying it so casually in young adult literature, as if its something that everyone is doing and is perfectly natural for 17 year olds to be having sex and using people sexually to escape their problems. I realize that yes, this does happen, but if I'm reading a book and considering if I'm going to recommend it to my students, I want a more positive message than this.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment