Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Blowing off the Dust (again)

It's been three months since I last visited my little blog. It is lonely and dusty. Another day slips by and so much is still undone. Each week I set a goal of reading and writing for me, and each week the goal goes unmet. I am working hard to write curriculum, and be an effective teacher, yet I feel so ineffective because I'm not writing as I should. I grab a moment here or there and write and it feels so good to put pen to paper again. I realize how important it is for me to be writing with my students, yet time slips by again and my writing and reading falls by the way side. But I keep pushing forward and keep trying again.

After talking with my sophomores this morning, I was inspired to dust off my blog. They are working on book reviews for Biology class and one of the girls asked me if I wrote book reviews. I told her I had written a few on my blog, which led us to talking about blogging. Admittedly, I was rather embarrassed to admit that I hadn't blogged in months and that I had very few followers. You need to be interesting and have something worthwhile to say in order to attract regular readers and I'm afraid I've not been very interesting with my inconsistent posts.

Better late than never, I suppose. As I am getting my students to keep Reader's-Writer's Notebooks (modeled after Linda Rief) and getting back into the habit with me own R-WN, I hope to be more consistent with my blogging. I am trying to develop my own habits of thinking and writing and foster that in my students. There was a time that I did so much writing: notebooks upon notebooks of thoughts, reflections, stories. But I've lost that in recent years and I don't know why. I want to get that back. I want to rediscover my writing self, my reflective self, my creative self. I want to again know that feeling of creativity flowing from my pen, almost of it's own will.

2 comments:

  1. It's never too late to start back. So write on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what happened. You got older, got married, new job. Life expands and sometimes we are busier living life so there is less time to chronicle it. I'm constantly fighting the same battle. I want to blog more regularly than I do, and I would love to really work on my writing, but there are many other joys in life, particularly my family, that keep winning out over that. Not a bad alternative and I'll keep trying to make time. :)

    ReplyDelete