Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Middleworld (Jaguar Stones book 1) by J & K Voelkel

Middleworld (Jaguar Stones, #1)Middleworld by Jon Voelkel

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


This was the latest read aloud with my 7th graders. I picked it on the recommendation of several 8th graders who read it and enjoyed the action and adventure. There certainly is a lot of action and adventure, as well as demon possession, attempted human sacrifice, and explanation of Ancient Mayan culture. My students enjoyed it, especially as the story neared it's climax. I even over heard several of them speculating on what was going to happen during their after-school math help.

The main characters are likable and believable, although, I did find the changing attitude of Max's Uncle Ted a little unbelievable. The first story wraps up neatly enough for those who like a tidy conclusion, but it open enough to leave room for the next book. I was glad that I already had the second book, because after finishing reading Middleworld to the class, one of my students was asking for the second one before I could reach the book shelf.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment