Monday, April 18, 2011

Me & Jack by Danette Haworth

Me & JackMe & Jack by Danette Haworth

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I read this one on the bus during our middle school trip to Washington, DC last week and immediately handed it off to one of my 7th graders on the trip. Me and Jack is a wonderful story. It has humor, adventure, bullies, history, a lovable rare dog, true friendship... so much packed artfully into this middle grade novel. (Slight spoiler alert!) I have to admit, I was a bit nervous that it was going to be another one of those books where you're rooting for the dog and it dies. I was so relieved that Jack doesn't die. I think that is one of the biggest complaints of my dog lovers- books too frequently end with the death of the dog that you've come to love. This is a book that I will be recommending to many students.

Advance Reader Copy courtesy of the author.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Dogs dying at the end of books is what made me stop reading animal books! This sounds like a safe and enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete